Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Ressurection Rolls

Ok, so I can't take credit for inventing this - I saw it on Pinterest.  But it was just way too cool not to share it here.  Years ago, I had a recipe for cookies that you whipped up and put in the warmed (but turned off) oven overnight - and when you woke up, the cookies would be done - and hallow - to represent Christ rising from the dead and leaving an empty tomb.

First, you must know that holidays in my home are all about traditions.  There are few things that I can put my finger on and say that they definitely came from my own childhood.  I would visit with friends and I would see their family's traditions and I always thought that these rituals enhanced their family.  So, I invented a bunch for my own little family.  I hope that when my children grow up, they can not remember what toys they got under the tree or what the Easter Bunny brought them in their basket.  No, instead, my friends, I hope that they remember the special times we had together.

So now that I have you feeling all warm and fuzzy... let me tell you about these great rolls.

First- the ingredients... and no, this is NOT for the diet section of your recipe file. 

Canister of Crescent Rolls (yes I used reduced fat, because that makes them all healthy - right?)
1 bag regular size marshmallows
1 stick melted butter 
1/4 c. cinnamon mixed with 1/8 c white granulated sugar  (make sure you are heavy on the cinnamon)


At this point - take a minute to explain to your kids what each of the ingredients represent.
Crescent Rolls:  The cloths that Jesus' body was wrapped in
The Marshmallow:  Christ's body
The Ba-dda: Christ's Spirit
(really - I couldn't come up with some whitty thing for this)
Cinnamon:  Sins and sorrows of the world
The Oven: the stone tomb

Look how smart I was... I even took a picture of the oven's temperature. Doesn't that impress you! I sure the heck am impressed.  As you can see below (giggle), set the oven to 350. (Look ma, I'm a PROfessional).

First, open up your can of crescent rolls.  No, no picture of this - I was still beaming about the oven picture, so I neglected to take a picture of the rolls. haha.  Just pop the can and separate the pieces so that they are easily grabbed.

NEXT - roll the marshmallow in the butter and coat it well.  I gave it a couple quick flicks when I was done to help the extra butter drip off.




Next, coat the marshmallow in the cinnamon mixture.  My kids loved this step.  It let them feel like they were playing with dirt.  And really that was the idea... remember to point out to the kids that sin makes our spirit unclean.  I'm not sure if I should be worried at just how much Abby seemed to like the concept of getting the spirit dirty....


Next, place the dirty marshmallow on a crescent piece of dough and stretch and fold the dough around the marshmallow.  Now a couple of tips based on my own failures... Be sure to use CLEAN fingers.  DO NOT put a hole in the dough - anywhere... nope, while it is not hard to clean up melted marshmallow (hot water does the trick), it is also NOT fun!  And finally... pinch baby, pinch hard!  You wanna make sure your seams do not come undone.



Place them on a non-stick baking pan and place in the oven until golden brown. It took mine about 8 minutes.  See my lovely pictures below.




While we waited for the rolls to cook, we read the story of the resurrection in the bible.  If your children are a little young to sit and listen to the scriptures, try showing them these awesome bible videos on the resurrection:  Bible videos.  They are fabulously done.  We watched the videos before we started, and then we talked about them while we waited.  I would suggest you ask your kids what they think will happen in the oven.  If you are adults making this, you may want to read this article as it is truly amazing: He is risen - A prophets testimony.

I also let my girls taste straight cinnamon.  But be sure you have a drink near by.  Once they had the bitter on their tongue, I explained to them that making the wrong choices in life, sinning, would leave us with bitter feelings in our hearts - just like the cinnamon.  I also pointed out tho, that everyone makes mistakes and when repentance is added (let them taste the cinnamon and sugar mixture -but hint--add more sugar before you do this to let them see you adding the sugar) then it makes our life complete - and the bitter taste is removed.

Finally, break open the roll and reveal to the kids that Christ did rise from the dead - the tomb is empty.  And enjoy because these taste GREAT!  I ate too many of these, but I just kept repeating in my head... these are heavenly rolls and therefore are good for me.

I am a slacker, I know - I had meant to post this before Easter, but didn't get around to it... its that whole, live in the moment with your kids concept that just keeps me from doing stuff like this on time.  However, even though this is a great Easter treat and an even better tradition (if I do say so myself), it would also make a great Family Home Evening lesson.  For those of you who do not know what Family Home Evening (FHE for short), it is a time we are asked to set apart during the week (most family's it is a Monday night -for us we do Tues most weeks) to reinforce the lessons we have been taught on Sunday.  We share the responsibilities of preparing the lessons, saying prayers, singing a children's hymn or listening to one, and then an activity and treat to help drive it all home.  FHE, in my opinion, should not become preachy but rather relaxed and is successful when the family can have an open discussion about what we are taught at church.  If you do this, you get the lesson, activity, and treat all in one.  Its like buy one get two free!

I would also suggest more than one canister of rolls - you will seriously like these cinnamony-rolly type rolls and they make an AWESOME gift.

In the end, I do not know if my girls will look back on nights like this and think what an awesome, cool, and inspired mom they have... .. errr wait, I mean... look back and think what an awesome gift spending time with family is, but its my sincere hope, that I can let them feel my love for them through quality time spent with them.

I have learned not to blink since I've had kids.  If you take your eye off the ball for just one second, a few years will pass and that's the cruel thing about childhood - you never get that time back.  When children are young, trusting, and pure of thought - it is a gift that simply can never ever be recaptured - here or in eternity.  So, when your little five year old takes a sharpie and colors on your new leather couch, don't be like me - don't loose sight that the joy of motherhood, of family, of children, is in the messes.  Enjoy the journey and never wish your children out of "phase" because you are literally wishing their childhood away.  I try to capture events in my memory and recall them, in a futile effort to keep them from disappearing.  I love my family - messes, cinnamon and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment