Sunday, August 26, 2012


If you ever find yourself in need of a cute, easy party favor.... look no further.   Chocolate covered pretzels!!!

If you need a girl's party favor... these are "wands".  If you need a boy's... these are light sabers.... If you need an adult... these are "gourmet pretzel rods". :)  Its all in the description!

What you need...
Chocolate melting wafers or almond bark (found in the baking section)
Sprinkles, chopped peanuts and/or colored cookie sugar
Pretzel rods

I purchased my rods in a big tub at SAMS club.  This is good because you can have some as snacks, you can make chocolate pretzel rods and you can smash some to bits to put into brownies (but that is a WHOLE different blog, hehehe).

I decorate (or used to) cakes so I have a set of Wilton food color pastes. This means I normally buy white chocolate and then color it the way I want.  However, AC Moore sells a great little combo bag of chocolates that has red, blue, yellow, green, and white in it. 

People melt chocolate a MILLION different ways.  I have never had success with the microwave (I always burn it - when it gets thick and/or looses it shine).

So I do it the way my mom used to do when we made painted chocolate candies for Easter.  You take a  small sauce pan (if you are just using one color) or a metal 9x13 cake pan if you are doing a lot.  Fill it with about 2" of water and heat until boiling.  Then shut off the heat.  While you wait for the water to boil....(because admit it, if you stand there and watch the water it WILL NOT boil)... get your chocolate ready.

I use a glass pint canning jar (yay me for reusing).  You could probably use a thick glass cup as well, or an old mayo jar (if they even use glass anymore).  Fill the DRY jar to the very top with chocolate. (Trust me here... fill it to the brim).

Wait about 5 min and stir with a spoon.  You will find your chocolate wafers or almond bark will melt to liquid as soon as you stir it.  Stir it smooth.  At this point if you are coloring it - do so now.  DO NOT USE liquid food color. It has to be the paste kind... liquid and chocolate do NOT mix.

Next, dip your rods 3/4 into the jar.  Then let your pretzels drip :)

Next over a large salad bowl, sprinkle your pretzel while turning with whatever kind of decoration you choose (if you choose any).  Then set on an UNGREASED piece of foil or on wax paper.  It will cool on its own.  I lined a cookie sheet and when I filled it - I threw it in the refrigerator for a minute....to speed the process.

You can also dip your pretzels then drizzle with white chocolate.  Just dip your spoon in the white chocolate and then in a quick sweeping motion go back and forth across the pretzels - leaving white streaks.

Ok wa-la.  You can package them- you can serve them on a platter... just don't eat too many of them or you will not be able to buckle your jeans.  Again, I am not saying that I know this from experience, eh-hum.

So simple... kids love them... parents secretly sneak them.. its a win win.  Plus, am I wrong, but they LOOK like they take forever.

Start to finish for all these was 20 mins. **shhh, its our secret**


No comments:

Post a Comment